Tuesday, November 8, 2011


9/1/06



"day 5"

All the people I work with hate me at lunch time I think.  Because I eat salads and sandwiches everyday and I'm skinny.  I do it so that I get energy and can think clearly though and it really helps.  But I think they are getting over it because now they just make fun of me every day.  It's becoming a 'thing' to talk about what Lyndsey is eating today.  I ran out of salad stuff today and I think some people almost died of shock when I didnt bring one.  And Ethel ate a salad today and all bitter-like said "What am I doing letting this young girl teach me things?  I shouldnt be learning from a little girl."  Ethel is the liar I told you about before.  She likes to drag me around to EVERYONE and embarrass me by pointing at my, uh...chest, and saying "Look!  Look at these cotton balls this girl has!"  It's pretty awkward.  She's a character.  She likes to have mini conversations with me and then immediately turn around and tell whoever is closest about our conversation, but...everything she says that I say is a lie.  Like "...and then this girl said 'no Ethel, I think you're a *****'"  So...she's never boring.
 
One thing I've noticed about this town is that they make the British's teeth look good.  I dont think I have one patient who even has all of their teeth.  And the teeth they do have are in completely sideways.  I'm gonna not drink the water around here.  It makes me want to guzzle down milk.  Mom, do you have any of those yummy calcium chewy things?  I want to start taking those.  But, I don't know if I can get mail here so I'll just have to wait until I get home.
 
Also, there is a fugitive running around here.  His name is Bucky Phillips and he has supposedly shot about 3 cops I think.  It's really a huge deal in this little town.  Especially as of last night I think something happened.  I think a cop got shot (not in Jamestown though, about an hour away).  And all of the police are really upset because this guy has been running around since he escaped in April and everyone is starting to doubt the cops.  So they have check points and stuff everywhere.  Good thing I dont drive.  Which reminds me, I dont know how I dodged a ticket today.  I forgot to park my car on the odd side of the street, being as today is now an odd month.  What a crazy town.  Anyways, Bucky is an Indian and they think the Indians at the reservation near here are hiding him and helping him.  Don't worry, I'll be careful.
 
Today I got to help with a girl with Cerebral Palsy and also a paralyzed guy who has an amputation.  What is mostly interesting is seeing little techniques that I learned in class and actually seeing them being used.  And knowing why they are doing these things.  It makes me feel like I know more than I thought I did which is nice.  Even though I'm very aware that there is still alot that I dont know.
 
I'm gonna miss working with Marie, she was really great.  But they say Liz is nice, so thats good.  Marie and I talk alot about Women's Health and I feel bad for her because she really kinda got screwed over by one of the doctors in the hospital who said he didnt believe that pelvic floor training was helping and then he went and started his own clinic and hired someone else and bought all the equipment to do just that.  So I feel bad for her because she really enjoyed doing it and was making alot of progress with it and they stole it from her and she cant even complain because the doctor is really valued at the hospital so they dont want to have any problems.  So that sucks.  Today Marie was telling me about this couple down in florida that is doing this thing that is having increasingly high success rates for getting infertile women pregnant.  Which is pretty exciting. 
 
This morning during the in-patient cattle drive (they dont really call it that, just me) I felt like I earned some respect from mean-Debbie.  As well as bitter-Kathy.  And I think shy-Ardis even started to befriend me a little today.  Why?  Well, because I was awesome this morning!  I was everwhere they needed me to be.  I saved someone from getting their catheter yanked out, I handed them things before they even asked for them and I caught a lot of little things before they became big problems.  Yes, yes, I'm good, what can I say?  haha.
 
Okay, I'll shut up now.  I need to run to walmart before it gets dark.  And I want to go to the "mall" and see if I can find a sweater because its SO COLD EVERYWHERE.  I was expecting september to stay a decent temperature, but I guess that was asking too much!
 
I love you!
Lyndsey

No comments: